On Saturday, January 18, United Way for Greater Austin and Hands on Central Texas invite you to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day of service.
MLK Jr. Day of Service is a national initiative to strengthen communities, bridge barriers between different groups of people, create solutions to our social problems and move us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a “Beloved Community.” Thousands of individuals around the U.S. honor Dr. King’s legacy on this day by participating in volunteer projects that encourage community collaboration and make our towns a better place to live.
United Way for Greater Austin Volunteers, in partnership with Keep Austin Beautiful, is recruiting volunteers for MLK Jr. Day of Service. We hope you’ll consider honoring Dr. King’s legacy of service by volunteering for the MLK Jr. Boulevard Clean Up.
Important volunteer details:
- MLK Jr. Day of Service will begin with a kick-off breakfast at United Way for Greater Austin (2000 E MLK Jr Blvd, Austin TX 78702) at 9 am. Volunteers will then disperse from the kick-off breakfast.
- Volunteers will clean up litter along East MLK Jr Blvd from IH 35 to 183.
- Do not bring any personal items with you as there will be no storage space available. Only bring items that you feel comfortable carrying with you.
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes.
- There is parking at United Way for Greater Austin and surrounding streets. Carpooling is always encouraged.
- In case of rain or severe weather, updates or cancellations will be shared via email to volunteers signed up.